How to reset an LG tablet
10tablets may earn an affiliate commission when you purchase through our links. Learn More
All our tech gadgets including tablets need to be reset every once in a while. So, if you find your LG tablet to be slow, hangs, freezing, or sometimes becoming unresponsive, it might be time for a reset. Perhaps you want to sell or maybe forgot the password of your LG tablet then you need to reset your tablet. There are different types of resetting an LG tablet but it depends on you which reset type you want to perform on your tablet. Hence, in this guide on how to reset an LG tablet, we have thoroughly explained each resetting type and all of the necessary steps which are needed for resetting your LG tablet.
- It may be possible that some button configurations may change depending on the model of the LG tablet that you want to reset. But in this guide, we have included the most common instructions which we think, works well on all models of LG tablets.
- It’s always a good idea to have a backup of your important data and files before resetting your tablet. Because in some reset types like Factory or Hard reset, all of your data will be erased including pictures, videos, contacts, apps, etc., so make sure you back up everything.
Table of Contents
How to reset an LG Tablet – Different types of Resets
1. Soft reset LG tablet/ Restart
If your LG tablet is responsive but, still, sometimes it hangs then you should first try the Soft rest method or simply restart. It’ll fix the problem without any data loss or changing any of your tablet’s settings. Follow these steps to perform a soft reset.
- Press and hold the Power button of your tablet until you see the power off on the screen.
- Now release the button and then press the Power button for turning it on.
2. Hard reset LG tablet / Forced restart
If your tablet is unresponsive or freezing then trying the Forced restart will solve the problem. Further, it’s more like a normal restart but it forces the tablet to become responsive if it is frozen. Perform the below steps for carrying out a hard reset on your LG tablet.
- Press and Hold the Power button and Volume Down button together for 15 seconds of your LG tab.
- When the display of the tablet becomes black, release the buttons and the tablet will restart.
If this option does not work, try this method;
- Press and Hold the Power button of the tab for about 2 minutes.
- Next, let it off for 1 minute.
- Then press the Power button to turn it on.
3. Factory reset LG tablet
If any of the above methods have not worked then the Factory reset technique is the last option to try on your LG tablet. But keep in mind that this method will erase all of your tablet data including videos, pictures, apps, settings, etc., so it would be good that you make a backup of all of your important data before doing the Factory reset. Also, make sure that you have logged out all of the accounts including Google before resetting the tablet.
Further, if you have forgotten the password of your LG tablet then this method can reset it but remember that it will completely delete all of the tablet’s content. So, if you are ready for taking the risk of losing your data then the Factory reset restores it back to the state it was in when it came out of the box.
There are two ways of doing a Factory reset on an LG tablet; one through the mobile setting and the second, from the tablet recovery mode.
a) Factory restore from the LG tablet settings
Follow the following steps if you want to perform a Factory reset from the settings menu of the tablet.
- Tap on the Settings icon and this will open the settings menu.
- Then scroll down the settings to the bottom and you will see a “System” section. Click on it.
- A new menu will open where you will see a section called “Advanced”. Click on it and it will display advanced options.
- In the advanced options menu, click on the “Reset options”, it will display Reset Wi-Fi, mobile & Bluetooth options, Reset App preferences and Erase all data (factory reset).
- Click on the “Erase all data (factory reset)” button.
- A confirmation message will appear, stating that all of your tablet’s internal storage data will be erased including Google account, System and app data and settings, Download apps, Music, Photos, and other user data. Although the data which you have uploaded to Facebook, Twitter, Google, or have backup copies in your Google Drive, One Drive or Dropbox will not be deleted.
- Press the “Reset button”.
- Another confirmation message will show, stating that all the information and data stored on this tablet along with download apps will be erased. Also, reminds, you will not undo this action. If you agree, click on the “Erase Everything” button.
- Then you will be asked to enter the screen unlock password or PIN or draw the screen unlock pattern to continue. Enter the password or PIN or screen unlock pattern.
- Then the tablet’s resetting process will start. This will take several minutes to start, meanwhile restoring the LG tablet to its factory state and optimizing the pre-installed apps in the operating system. And thus, your LG tablet resets to its original state and will perfectly work well.
b) Factory reset LG tablet from the Recovery mode
Follow the following steps if you wish to reset your LG tablet from Recovery mode. Also, this method can solve all such problems which can’t be resolved by the normal factory reset. Further, those users who have forgotten the password of their tablet and they have tried all the password recovery or login methods but are unable to access their tablet. Then this method will definitely reset their tablet but remember, that all of the contents and data in the tablet will be permanently deleted.
- First, completely turn off your LG tablet. In the case of a forgotten password, press and hold the Power button of the tablet for 20 seconds and the tablet will turn off.
- After that, press the Power and Volume down buttons simultaneously and hold them for a few seconds. In some tablets the keys combination may change because of their model and Android version, so you have to press the Power and Volume up keys.
- Release the buttons, when the LG logo is displayed on the screen.
- A menu will appear on the screen, which you can move through the Volume up and down keys.
- Go through the menu until you reach the “Recovery mode” option. Select it by pressing the Power button.
- Then go through the menu with the help of Volume up and down keys and select the “wipe cache partition” option and then press the Power button to clear the tablet cache.
- You will be redirected to the previous screen after a few seconds and you’ll see a menu. Go through it with the Volume up and down keys and select the “wipe data/factory reset” option, then press the Power button.
- A new menu will appear with No and Yes. Select the Yes option with the help of Volume keys and then press the Power key.
- After that, click on the “Reboot system now” and press the Power button of your LG tablet. Next, the tablet will start rebooting and will take several minutes to start. Then your tablet will restore to its original factory state with optimized pre-installed applications.
- Enjoy working on your LG tablet which will excellently work well without any issues.